I recently spoke about how to avoid strife. This is a pretty big issue. It tears up a lot of homes. But as in all things the Word of God holds the answer.
Learning how to win against strife and bring peace into your home is extraordinarily valuable and important.
Here's a few definitions of strife that I made up; see if these help:
- Strife is contending for what you demand and aren't willing to wait for.
- Strife is you giving vent to the devilish, fruit of the flesh, selfishness and pride, therefore communicating accurately the devil's true nature to those around you in an attempt to get them to submit to you and your desires.
- Strife is you being knocked off your throne, not getting to reign anymore and whining about it.
- Strife is you having to fend for yourself
- Strife is you not trusting God enough so you have to get your own
- Strife is taking not giving
- Strife is hating not loving
- Strife is fear not faith
- Strife is doubt not hope
- Strife is pride not humility
- Strife is anger not gentleness
- Strife is the devil's attempt to get your Christian home to look like hell so that your children don't want to live there anymore.
- Strife is the devil's attempt to get your faith to look like phony so that your children don't want follow it.
Here's a few scriptures about this:
Pro 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
Pro 10:12 KJV
Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.
Pro 15:18 KJV
A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife.
Pro 17:1 KJV
Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife.
Pro 17:14 KJV
The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.
- AMP The beginning of strife is as when water first trickles [from a crack in a dam]; therefore stop contention before it becomes worse and quarreling breaks out.
- MSG The start of a quarrel is like a leak in a dam, so stop it before it bursts.
- GNB The start of an argument is like the first break in a dam; stop it before it goes any further.
Pro 20:3 KJV
It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.
Pro 22:10 KJV
Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.
Pro 26:20 KJV
Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.
Pro 26:21 KJV
As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife.
Pro 28:25 KJV
He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife: but he that putteth his trust in the LORD shall be made fat.
Pro 29:22 KJV
An angry man stirreth up strife, and a furious man aboundeth in transgression.
Pro 30:33 KJV
Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife.
Jam 3:13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
Jam 3:14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
Jam 3:15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
Jam 3:16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
Jam 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
Jam 3:18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
Jam 4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
Jam 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
Jam 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
Jam 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
Jam 4:5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?
Jam 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
Jam 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Jam 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
I hope this helps. Strife is no fun and it gives the devil an open door into your home.