- Some people don't have a clue about what this is.
- Others have heard of it and wonder.
- Some think people who do this are looney.
- Others think it's totally normal.
I confess to you that I fall into the last category. Speaking in tongues is an enormously helpful part of my prayer life. You've heard the commercial, "Don't leave home without it!" That's how I feel about this. It is vital, even essential to my being an effective Christian.
What is Speaking In Tongues?
Well it is a supernatural gifting of the Holy Spirit to speak fluently in a language you've never learned, yet still without understanding what you're saying.
Why Would I Ever Want To Do That?
#1 Because Jesus said so!
- Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
- If Jesus said that as a believer, I would speak in new tongues then He must have had a reason. I have found that He did...
#2 Speaking in Tongues let's me deliver a message from God to the church which is then interpreted by someone for the church's encouragement or to build them up. (See 1 Corinthians 12 & 14) This has happened to me a few times. It was awesome. Plus I've heard this many times in our church and others.
#3 Speaking in Tongues let's me deliver a message from God to someone of a different tongue who hasn't heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (See Acts 2) This has happened a few times to me. People of another language have informed me that something I said in tongues was something they understood.
#4 Speaking in Tongues helps me to pray effectively for myself and others. This is the way I use it most.
- Rom 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
So, here the Holy Spirit is praying God's perfect will through me. I have seen so many miracles happen because of this kind of prayer it is amazing. I'll share more on this later.
#5 Speaking in Tongues builds up my faith (See Jude 20)
#6 Speaking in Tongues helps me to get wisdom from God. I pray with my spirit then I pray that I might interpret what was said. (See I Corinthians 14) When I interpret it I often get great wisdom from God. Oral Roberts testifies that this is how he found out from God how to build a University.
#7 Speaking in Tongues was and usually is the first evidence of someone being filled with the Holy Spirit. Acts 2, and many other places in the Book of Acts.
If you'd like to learn more about this, you can listen to my message on it at:
I also recommend Andrew Wommack's teaching on this topic at:
God bless you